Thursday, June 7, 2007

Front door


Have you ever had an opportunity for ministry show up at your front door?

This morning, a friend of my son's came by, very disappointed that my son was still on his mission trip. I could tell he was concerned about something. He went on to tell me that he had just found out that his friends' mother had died in her sleep.

Wow! What do you say to that?

He told me that none of his friends were home, so I invited him in to hang out, use our computer to check his Tribal Wars (online, ongoing game), e-mail his friends and check their My Space pages. His mom was just leaving for work, so otherwise he would be home alone.

Now, mind you, I'm not really interacting with him. I'm not even in the same room. (Before you get worried, none of my rooms are very far apart!) And my younger son has a friend over, so he's occupied. But I can let him be here, instead of be alone, and let him do something to occupy his hands and mind a bit as he deals with his grief. He was close to the family, especially the mom, so this hurts a lot!

Pray for this young man, Juan. He's been "in church", but I don't know that he's a believer.

Pray for the family of James & Kyle, who lost their mom. I learned that she was the only one in the household who was working, and she took care of all the meals, laundry and other household chores. And I know nothing of the spiritual condition of their family.

Pray for my son. He'll have shocking news to come home to. He has spent quite a bit of time with this family, too. And he'll have opportunities for ministry to his friends.

Pray for me. For wisdom in knowing how I can reach out to this family and these young men. That my door would always be open to those who are hurting.

3 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Isn't it amazing the amount of ministry you can do right in your own home? You are a good mom, Cookie!

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

missionary - and you really think you aren't one already?

cookiehawk77 said...

Aren't we all -- really?