Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Key?


I have a kid who is wonderful at avoiding activities. Every time he is pressed to do an undesired activity, he is hungry, he needs a break, he needs to go to the bathroom, etc. He works harder at avoiding the activity than he would actually doing it! I can't figure out the key to motivating him!

We have tried positive and negative reinforcement -- anything from wonderfully desired rewards to withholding favorite privileges to (dare I say it?) spanking. Nothing seems to work consistently. Spanking definitely doesn't! (I wish it did!)

The thing that works best is sitting right with him and insisting he stay on task. However, this takes constant attentiveness and excessive use of time, which is not always available for this use. Any lapse in attention and he is off!

Oh, and he also has to tell you about EVERYTHING he does and discovers and makes, whether you want to hear or not.

I don't know if this is an extreme need for attention, a bad case of ADD, or just a very clever kid. But it's getting old!

Any ideas on what the key might be?

3 comments:

Heidi Day said...

We don't have the 'staying on task' issues, but definitely the 'telling everything you do or think' and asking millions of questions I have no answer to. I am feeling very dumb lately :-( Anyway, I think it is just 'boys'.

In His Grip said...

CH77,

Great question that you’ve already answered and I believe you to be 100% correct in your answer of what the key is - “The thing that works best is sitting right with him,” with “constant attentiveness and an excessive use of time-”

What an awesome opportunity to exhibit the fruit of the Spirit and be what God is to us everyday-

How awesome that he wants share “EVERYTHING” with you; sure beats no conversation -

Have a blessed day!

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

I didn't know this trick when my kids were young, but when I had my students begin to tell me everything in the world I simply handed them a pencil and told them that I really wanted to hear all about what they had to tell me, alas I did not have the ability to do so at that moment: write it and I will read it. Then I would add, "And then it will be treasured forever." If it was really something they wanted to share it was. Otherwise, they got busy on the task at hand. It was interesting.