Sunday, May 13, 2007

Moms

Happy Mother's Day! Today I find myself thinking back over the women who have helped shape my life, who have been moms to me:

Ann -- My mother. She has been with the Lord for 15 years now. She passed away when my "big kids" were 5 and 3. They don't have many memories of her. I remember how we would shop together, look at model homes together, study maps and floor plans from the paper just because it was fun, work crossword puzzles and logic problems together... and argue pretty frequently! I think we were too much alike! There are times I still miss her -- when I see women my age enjoying time with their moms and watching grandmas interacting with their grandkids. She taught me so much! I still have so much to learn.

Julia -- My wonderful mother-in-law. She turned 88 years young last summer. I remember when she was about 65 hearing her complain because of having to buy bran for her horse. She could handle the sweet feed bags O.K. (50 pounds), but the bran was a little hard to deal with (only came in 100-pound bags)! She was hauling hay for the horse in her mini-pickup for several more years. I hope my daughter inherits her youthfulness as she inherited her first name, Julie, which means "youthful". Julia embraced me with love from our first meeting because I was the choice of her son. Although we have had our clashes, her love for me has never waned. We've spent many a nights talking until the wee hours just because we could! May I strive to be as accepting and loving as she is, serving so selflessly those she loves.

Mary -- My aunt. She and my mother were close. They married brothers. I teasingly told them they weren't really related, since they were "the brother-in-law's wife" to one another. I was almost two years older than Mary's oldest son and she seemed to dote on me. We would visit their house once every few months, spending an afternoon and evening with them. I remember cranking ice cream and eating pies. As a young bride, I would visit her house and spend time with her. I sat with her in the hospital as she recovered from kidney surgery, me making baby blankets for my first, both of us missing the funeral of mother-in-law and grandmother. We've been together through lots of life events -- having kids, losing parents, having another kid later in life (both of us), losing a husband (my uncle), watching kids grow up and go their own way (whether you like it or not). Oh, the memories!

There's also lots of church friends, teachers, and mentors of various types who have helped to shape me. Women, never underestimate your potential influence on the young women around you. Like it or not, you'll be a mom influence on their life. May we all strive to be a good ones!

No comments: