Thursday, May 17, 2007

Happy Anniversary!

My daughter and her boyfriend celebrated three years of dating yesterday! Wow! That's a long time! I never had any long dating relationships and even had a relatively short engagement, so I don't even know what that feels like. I can't imagine the pressures of dating that young adults face these days.

I applaud my daughter and her boyfriend for remaining faithful to one another through a lot of growing-up times and changes, and for maintaining well a long-distance relationship. They have a good relationship -- encouraging one another to be better at what they are good at and complementing one another's strengths and weaknesses. That's what counts. But most importantly, they are both strong in their commitment to the Lord.

I got to thinking -- our relationship with Jesus is kind of like a long courtship. We are promised to one another, but the time isn't right for us to be together forever. And we feel the tension that comes with that relationship -- longing for our new life with Him, but somewhat anxious about leaving the old and familiar. But one day we will come to Him as His bride, clothed in His righteousness and purity, beautiful and beloved! We only think we know what love is now!

1 comment:

Joye said...

Wonderful analogy. I think that's why Jesus will come in the clouds to take us- in biblical times the groom came for the bride to take her to her new home. The Groom will come for His bride, the church.