Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Minor successes!

In spite of starting work too late (again), I had the highest line count (typing) that I've had in a month and a half! If you don't already know, I work from home as a medical transcriptionist. They pay me based on the number of lines I type (1 line=65 characters). I have been working hard this week to be more diligent in getting my typing done, starting earlier and staying at it. Each day this week I have done a little more.

In case you think I'm just a lazy slug (which I probably am!), one of the reasons I haven't been typing as much has been health issues -- just what, I don't know. I won't bore you with the details. Suffice it to say I've been working through fatigue and intermittent tummy aches.

I've also been trying to watch my eating better, both to lose weight and to minimize complications of my diabetes. That's been going a bit better as well.

Isn't it discouraging how EVERYTHING seems to come down to self-discipline. It would be so much easier to coast through life doing as little as possible. That might work pretty well in some cultures. But then cultures like that have the economy that goes with that mentality.

What does God say? In Proverbs 6:6-11 (NIV), we read:

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?

A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest-

and poverty will come on you like a bandit
and scarcity like an armed man.
Hmmm.... I need to remember that in the morning when I reach for the snooze alarm!

3 comments:

Joye said...

You WOULD have to go there! (Groan) Isn't it funny, though, how we have great self-discipline in some areas and are weak in others?

Kathy said...

That's awesome! I have a very good friend who started in "at home" transcribing via an online company. Now she works for them as a supervisor and trainer. She loves it.

Schweers' Mom said...

I didn't know you had diabetes. I have some knowledge in that area...