Thursday, September 13, 2007

Emphysema!

Several years ago, my niece had a Dora the Explorer doll that danced and sang her "We did it!" song. Dora is a bilingual show, so they say the main phrases in English and in Spanish:
We did it, we did it, we did it, yeah!
Lo hacimos, we did it, we did it, yeah!
My daughter, not being familiar with the TV show, replaced the Spanish words with what she thought she heard. Thus "Lo hacimos!" became "Emphysema!," and this became a family joke.

I'm shouting "Emphysema!" tonight because my son finished his homework! That may not sound like a big deal, but for us it is! We have been staying up late with him to try to keep him on task, resulting in sleep deprivation for everyone. (Throw a puppy's 3 a.m. wakeup calls in there, too!)

The last two days he has not had his assigned homework completed. I was pretty frustrated this morning. I'm not sure if the problem is laziness, lack of motivation, procrastination, or a true learning disability. We were all overjoyed when he finished before 10:00!
Emphysema! He did it!
Now, if only I can get Emma to cooperate...


2 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Congrats! What a fun accomplishement, and I know that all the excitement for his accomplishment will encourage him all the more! Oh, and if you figure out how to get Emma to cooperate, let me know so we can try it with Bella. Sigh.

Jenny

jlester01 said...

At our house, "Eureka, I found it!" became "Topeka, I found it!" thanks to Winnie the Pooh. Congrats to both you and your son for your success today.