Saturday, September 1, 2007

BIG Change!


Wow! Life has changed a lot for the family since Sunday!

Sunday evening I spoke with a friend who had just started her son in a charter school. It sounded really interesting, but I figured Lewisville was too far to drive every day. She told me they had opened one in Denton and gave me the website. I went home and looked them up. We discussed it and felt it would be a good fit for our son. I called them Monday, which was their first day of school. They had room for my son in 4th grade. Age-wise, he's a young 5th grader, and I have been contemplating holding him back for a while now. I enrolled him in 4th grade, and he started Tuesday morning. This is big for us! Both my older children were homeschooled through high school, so this was the first time one of my children has gone to school!

While in the school enrolling him, I found out they needed a secretary. I had been contemplating getting a "real job" instead of doing medical transcription from home. It hasn't been paying as well as I need. Plus, it's really hard being your own boss. I will work much harder for someone else than for myself. It's so easy to goof off and so hard for me to discipline myself and keep to a schedule.

I had to go home and make a lunch since I was not sure if my son would stay all day on Tuesday. While at home, I tweaked my resume and brought it back. Then I went to shop for school clothes for my son. This wasn't the easiest as most of the "uniform" clothes were picked over. They don't have a uniform per se, but they do have a narrow dress code. Believe it or not, my son hasn't balked at that! (Sometimes it's easier to follow someone else's rules!)

I went back in Tuesday afternoon, interviewed for the job, and started on Wednesday morning. I'm the school secretary/receptionist, school nurse, and general flunky. The admin staff consists of me and the Campus Director (principal). They are in the throes of start-up. This is fun for me, as I like setting up new systems and organizing stuff. The pay is not as good as I'd hoped, but it should be more than I was getting transcribing. At this point, I'm not sure if I'm going to continue transcribing part-time or not. I'm kind of hoping not, so as to lower my stress and activity level, but I haven't quit yet and my boss hasn't asked me to yet.

I think the structure is going to be good for all of us and will help us establish some new habits! I've always felt the best jobs are the ones that find you. Although it was big and SUDDEN, I think this change found us, and I feel that God is in it!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
-- Proverbs 3:5-6
P.S. : For those wondering about my big decision, it's still in process. I'll keep you posted.

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow, that is a bunch of BIG changes! God is good to provide what we need, when we need it. Once again, His provision is perfect!

C.C. said...

Enjoy your new job!

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you can be in the same building with your son! Congrats!

Pony and Petey said...

Congrats on the cool changes at your house! Sounds exciting = )

Heidi Day said...

Thank you for sharing this story in person with me today! I like our budding friendship, :-)

jlester01 said...

Sometimes things fall into place with really big, satisfying clicks. Enjoy!

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

WOW! Isn't God wonderful in His orchestrations of just what we need? Congrats.
hugs

Heidi Day said...

wow, you must be busy, haven't had any updates all week! I miss you!