Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Our Personal Navigation System

I heard a story today about a woman who drove to Atlanta with only her GPS navigation system to guide her. She turned right when it told her to, or turned left, or exited, or merged. She managed to get to her destination one turn at a time, although she had no idea where in Atlanta she was other than the street address. But she never got lost. Even when she missed a turn, her handy device told her so that she could correct her path.

This woman got to thinking about how easy it was to follow one step at a time, trusting the device to guide her even though she didn't see the big picture. And then she realized how much that was like God's guidance. He sees the big picture but only instructs us one turn at a time. He knows that's all we can handle. And it forces us to trust him.

I don't want a navigation system! I want the whole map. I want to know exactly where I am and 15 different ways to get where I need to be if the primary route is blocked. But God knows that if I had the whole map, it would be so overwhelming that I couldn't take it. Like a street map of the entire globe! And even if I could handle it, I wouldn't be trusting Him to guide me, but I'd be trusting my OWN understanding!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your body
And refreshment to your bones.
--Proverbs 3:1-8
Where's the next turn, God? My bones could really use some refreshment!

4 comments:

jlester01 said...

I really like that story. I want to know all of the shortcuts and side roads too! Sometimes it's best for us to wait at the roadblocks - to avoid disaster or to learn to live on God's timetable. Thanks for sharing!

Pony and Petey said...

Oh wow...that is a FANTASTIC visual on following God step-by-step!! And you quoted my favorite verses = )

I like your pic that you added! I still see your smiling face leading worship...in my mind, now that we're in Houston...hahahaha Nice that I can keep up with you in Blogville!

Anonymous said...

Good visual! Thank you for sharing! I love knowing that others feel the same way I do! Even if they appear on the outside to have it "all together". I enjoy reading your blog.

Bonnye Kendall

The Toneman said...

Awesome insight Carol. Definitely what God was doing with Abram when he told him to pack up and go to a land "which I WILL show you." Didn't give him a map either. Hebrews chapter 11:8 shows he was held in high regard of his trust in God. Good stuff!