Sunday, November 18, 2007

Career Change?


I'm trying to work my husband into a new job. In some ways it would be a step forward. In others, a step back.

Our school is going to be putting in a cafeteria to be able to serve lunches to the students. They will need someone to run the kitchen operations. If you know my husband at all, you know he loves to cook! He's always one of the "kitchen ladies" working on Mission Meals. Plus, he's often there to help out and clean up at other events at the church.

We have been feeling that God is leading us into a hospitality ministry in missions -- running a guest house or hosting short-term teams. This would be an opportunity to try his hand at cooking for a crowd (probably only about 100) on a daily basis.

Sounds good, huh? Well, the down side is that it would be a significant reduction in pay. But it would also be a significant reduction in commute time and cost, a significant reduction in stress, and a way out of a bad work environment. We're willing to take the pay cut if we can make it on our salaries. I know we can stand to reduce our living expenses a little bit. We've done it before.

I know that God has put me in my current job for a reason. For me, it meant a bit more pay. It also meant a change in lifestyle for myself, for William (going to school for the first time), and the rest of the family. But now that we've settled into a routine, I'm finding I really enjoy my position. It really is a ministry -- to the students, the parents, and the staff.

Please pray for wisdom for us as we contemplate this career change and for the school leadership as they make their decisions.

2 comments:

Melissa Dovel said...

Gooooood Mornin Mrs. Hawkins,

I will be praying for the right move with your husband and TEC. I think it would be awesome for you to work together and to be near home. I will pray for a job offer to be made quickly and wisdom to trust the Lord to provide exactly what your family needs. Heck, with the cost of gas I can not begin to imagine the impact of that with a long drive. I know that your campus director can sometimes drag his feet in decissions to be made. I will pray for quick and clear resolution so that you and your husband can have peace with this move.

Blessings to YOU!!!
Melissa

Schweers' Mom said...

Honestly, sometimes the cost of stress and commute time isn't worth what you are paid. AND the blessings of doing what you enjoy is worth more than the $$.