Friday, June 12, 2009

Change of plans

Wednesday night we had thunderstorms with tornadoes. My family spent about a half hour in our neighborhood storm shelter. Fortunately, the only damage was a few limbs down here and there. Some of my friends had lightning strikes to trees and houses, as well as lots of downed trees.

Thursday morning comes. The weather forecasters said no storms. However, one storm after another formed right over the airport. Consequently, they canceled our flight to Miami, which was to begin our mission trip to Haiti. After a lot of phone time and internet searching, we could not find a way to get to Miami in order to catch our connecting flight to Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

After contacting the missionary in Haiti, we decided to reschedule for June 25-July 3. We are thankful to be able to continue so quickly with most of our existing team intact. If we had waited until fall, when most of the available openings were, many of our team would not have been able to go.

Yesterday was an emotional roller coaster as we went from packing to canceled to trying to get flights to rescheduling. Now we have a plan in place, but today hasn't been much better. We've had to confirm the availability of all the team members and get information to the missionary.

I'm sure God had a good reason for keeping us home yesterday. We may never know what it is, but we know He is in control! I was reminded again how tightly I hold on to my expectations rather than trusting God to lead and provide.

Well, now I've got two weeks to work on cleaning the house for company coming right after the trip to Haiti. Also, we need to finalize last minute details for the wedding. I won't be bored for the next two weeks!

2 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

I'm so glad you got everything rebooked and that most of the team can go. Fantastic! When things like this happen, I always wonder what God is protecting me from or why he wants me to do something at a later time.

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

I sit in the same seat as Schweers' Mom...
I think of all of the things that He could be removing me from. But it doesn't make it easy - just more peaceful. So, i pray for your continued peace as all rearrange and the actual goal be achieved. And remember one thing you do know: You will not meet the same people at the same time in your life as you would have if you would have gone on this plane at this time ... and well... maybe the person that you are to be ministering to needed you to wait :-)