Thursday, January 1, 2009

Chasing too many chickens

I'm a city girl. I can't say that this word picture would have readily sprung to mind, but it fits!

I visited with some friends who are leaving for the mission field for a second time. I was sharing about my worries concerning all the details to be dealt with to prepare for the mission field -- debts, clutter, selling the house, what to take, where to store it, etc.

After listening to my worries and woes, he told me I was chasing too many chickens. He pointed out that the only chickens I needed to chase right now were the debts and the clutter. He assured me I had plenty of time to figure those other things out and probably couldn't do so now if I wanted to.

Sometimes it feels like I'm not making any progress in the goal of becoming a missionary. I feel like I should drop everything to get ready, but I can't. Or, sometimes, I choose not to. It makes me feel like I'm spinning my wheels and not doing my part. But I have to remember I can only do what is in front of me at the moment and I have to trust God for the timing. Patience is not one of my virtues!

So, the plan is going to be to take it a day at a time. Pay off the debts as much as we can today. Cut our spending as much as we can today. Pick a spot and declutter a little today. And remind myself that my baby steps put me a little closer to that elusive chicken I'm chasing!

I'm not looking forward to returning to the school grind -- both for my class and for the boy. We've gotten him to do a little while on break, but he's no where near to being caught up. Once again, one day at a time. One assignment at a time.

But instead living in the pressure cooker, I'm trying out using it! I've borrowed one from a friend and have used it once. We may have to invest in one! The split pea soup I made was the best I've ever tasted! I should have taken a picture with our new camera!

And speaking of pictures, here's the Agape Flights plane with its new paint job. It's hard to believe they lost their plane just a year ago, and look how God has provided!

4 comments:

Prachar family said...

So glad you have gotten such wise advice! We are praying for you all as you prepare! God's timing is perfect! Glad to see you got your camera!

Schweers' Mom said...

That's a great metaphor! I will have to remember that one. I tend to be a chicken chaser way too often.

Kathy said...

I'll be praying!

BTW, read a really cool "declutter" technique.

EVERY DAY - tear off two black garbage bags from roll and invest 10 -15 minutes.

FILL one bag with garbage to throw away.

FILL one bag with stuff for Goodwill/CCA

CONTINUE DAILY for one month.

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

I love the way the German's handle life. They take one thing at a time. They do life in ones! One + One + One and then all of a sudden you wake up and it is all done :)

I agree - declutter and de-debt! Hugs!!!!! The declutter... i have found I don't need as much as I had. In fact, right now I am feeling like I have too much stuff again. So, I am decluttering once again... one + one + one... giggle!