Sunday, January 18, 2009

Advances

Well, we finally gave ADD medication a try for our son. It seems to make a big improvement in his school day! I know it's not a magic pill, but it's good to see some progress!

I also got tough with my students, which seems to have helped with getting their school work done, too! It also improved the classroom atmosphere a bit. They still have their moments, but overall it is calmer.

Between the two of these things, my stress level has gone down a bit. (Not chasing as many chickens?) Still, I'm looking forward to a day off tomorrow for Martin Luther King Day. Maybe I can get some stuff done around the house -- the cleaning & decluttering chickens!

We're still playing with the pressure cooker. We're checking out buying one online, when we get the funds.
Meal #4: Pinto beans cooked with a ham bone.
Meal #5: Barbecued ribs. (Yes, ribs in a pressure cooker!) They cook in their own homemade sauce!

Today we helped cook mission meal at the church. We served Spicy Minestrone Soup (a version of Southwest Stew, for those who are familiar with it). It didn't sell as well as we hoped. I think "spicy" in the title scared a few folks away. We also had a "meet & greet" for our new Worship Pastor and his wife at the same time -- not sure how that impacted our meal. The meal raised $420 to help out our sister church in Chambellan, Haiti. And, it was nice to meet our new Worship Pastor face to face!

I am going to be leading a team going to visit our sister church Haiti in June 2009. We will be doing a marriage conference and a "True Love Waits"-type conference for the youth. I think my hubby wants to go, and we are hoping we can take our younger son as well. Since he'll be moving there before long, it would be good to see what the country and the people are like. Although he is below their minimum age for a team member, please pray that the missions organization would be willing for him to come.

2 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

I disagree on the ADD med...I do think they are magic for kids who need them. It made a HUGE difference for drummer son. He would never have made it to honors pre-calc and honors physics without it. I'm glad you guys tried it...I know what a tough decision it is to go the meds route. Trust me. But I'm glad you are getting good results.

Cheri said...

I hope it works out for all three of you to go together!

That would be so wonderful for so many reasons!