Monday, September 8, 2008

Whew!

I tried to think up some catchy phrase to sum up the last couple of weeks. I don't think I have enough brain cells!

School is started and going pretty well. After two weeks, I think we're getting a routine down. I'm getting to know the students and their individual personalities. There's something I like in every one of them -- even those with "attitudes".

The main challenge of my day is what we call Goal Check. I make my way around the room, stopping at each student's desk to check that they met yesterday's goals and to help them in setting today's goals. And all the record keeping that goes with that! The secondary challenge is to keep the ADD kids/talkers to stay focused on their work rather than chatting and getting attention.

My prayer daily is that I would be shown how best to meet the individual needs of each student, especially those with struggles -- academic, emotional or physical. I still have a few I haven't figured out yet or don't always like as much, but I care for them all. Some of the ones I feared working with the most are the ones I find myself enjoying working with. That's what I get for prejudging!

Last Sunday, on one of my regular opportunities to serve on a worship team, I was asked to lead on a song. Being a "backup singer" doing the harmony part, it seemed really strange to carry the melody and having others harmonizing with me! I never considered myself as having a solo voice, but I have sung solos from time to time. It was fun, scary and challenging to have the opportunity to do so again.

What meant even more to me than the fact that I was spotlighted was the fact that all three vocalists took a turn leading songs. I love it when we mix it up and let people step into new roles for them. As much as I love the very talented people who usual take solos, it is good to see others step into that role from time to time -- even if they aren't as talented as the "regulars". Our pastor summed it up for me when he said in his sermon that we (those leading the service) aren't here to perform but to serve and hopefully have an impact on others.

1 comment:

Schweers' Mom said...

I'm sorry I missed Sunday! I know you did an awesome job. I wish I were blessed with a beautiful voice.

Isn't it funny that the students you think are going to be the most difficult are the ones that you end up really learning from and enjoying? I find that to be true even with adult students. They challenge me and take me out of my own comfort zone. And the best part is that I realize the only way I succeed is because it's the Lord doing the work and not me. Great lesson, huh?

Hugs!