Saturday, February 23, 2008

TAKS woes

I hate TAKS! No, I don't mean tacks, although you could probably make some valid "points" of comparison. Or taxes, even though I'm not fond of them, either! I mean Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills.

Back in the day, when I was a blissfully ignorant homeschooler, I didn't know just how much TAKS drives the day-to-day events of public schools. At first it was just a benchmark (practice test) here and there. Now, closer to the dates of the actual TAKS testings, the benchmarks get harder and closer together. This week we will have to start additional tutoring for those who did not have passing grades on their benchmarks so that they will have a better chance of passing the TAKS. I'm even going to do some high school math tutoring. (My Campus Director thinks I should get my teaching certification.)

Those who criticize schools for just teaching to the TAKS tests do not realize the pressure schools are under because of the TAKS. Mind you, I don't like teaching to the TAKS either. However, schools and teachers are evaluated based on the percentages of passing students. If the school does not get an acceptable rating, the state can put a full-time monitor into the school (that the school has to pay for) and possibly close the school if improvements are not made.

Sometimes I wish I were a blissfully ignorant homeschooler again!

As for the rest of life: I'm feeling quite a bit better. Hopefully my throat will hold out tomorrow as I sing at church. No more news on the job front. And I haven't made soap yet. The diet is going o.k., but I am cheating more frequently (just in small ways). The mission application is still in progress. No news from Agape Flights on replacing their plane. Lunch still pretty much dominates my day at the school. And we have not made any progress on our online class.

I guess I'm just taking life one day at a time. Which isn't a bad perspective.
Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.
-- Matthew 6:33-34 NLT

1 comment:

Heidi Day said...

I'm so glad I was able to serve with you today. You are such a strong person. I always enjoy a chat to see what's up. Thank you for being so candid and open.